Is it legal for me to sell my evicted roommate’s junk car after 30 days to get money he owes for rent?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


Michael Duffy / Duffy Law, LLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Not if you don't have title to it, even if it's junk. You would have to file suit against him, get a judgment in your favor and attach the judgment to the car. If it's low value you should be able to do so in small claims court and your case should be cut-and-dry. You're also luck you have an asset just sitting there - most people have a very difficult time locating assets even after a favorable judgment. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.