Is it legal for an employer to deduct a

I don’t know if it is possible to answer this question properly since the MOU

does not include a definition of what exactly the fee is paying for. However, this fee is in addition to union dues, insurance premiums, and retirement contributions.

Asked on September 14, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

In general, paycheck deductions are not legal. That is unless provided for specifically under the law or the terms of a written employment or union agreement. And here you state that in fact there is such an agreement in effect. Accordingly, since you knowingly entered into it, your consent for such deduction has been given. Accordingly, you have no claim regarding it now. 

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If it is in your union contract, it is not illegal for them to take this fee. An employer may deduct from employee pay when there is consent; since you are covered by the terms of the contract, if the contract allows this deduction, you would be said to have consented to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.