Is it legal for an employer to deduct money from my check without written permission?

It is for an item needed for work that was provided by them and it was accidently broken.

Asked on December 10, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Am employee can be charged for lost or broken items by their employer (either due to a negligent or intentional act). However, without express written consent by the employee, the employer cannot make any paycheck deductions. They would have to sue the employee to recover their loss.
Note: The employee should check any paperwork that they signed at the time of hire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.