Is it legal for an employer to make a part-time employee work full-time hours for 3 months but refuse to consider giving them a full-time position?

Even though the employee was verbally promised numerous times that they get the full time postion.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is unfortunately completely legal--the law does not require employers to make anyone full time, or prevent them from taking someone who has been working full time and making them part time (again). The only requirement is to pay hourly employees for all time worked, including overtime if more than 40 hours were worked in a week.

Promises are generally not enforceable unless you gave up something significant in reliance on the promise--such as giving up some other job opportunity. If you did give up something significant based on promises to make you full time, consult with an employment attorney about whether  you can hold your employer liable under the theory of "promissory estoppel"; but if you did not have to give up anything signficant, the promise is almost certainly unenforceable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.