Is it legal for an adult child taking care of an elderly parent to withhold the parent’s health condition from other adult children as “confidential”?

Asked on August 24, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This is really not an easy question to ask.  Is it legal? Well, it may not be "illegal" per se is the best way for me to give any guidance here.  Ifthe child is your parent's health care proxy and if your parents have designated them to discuss their health matters with their doctor's etc., then they may only be following your parent's wishes.  Do you as a child have a right to know the health condition of your parents?  Only so much as they choose to have you know.  Is the child taking care of them their conservator or guardian?  If not and if not the health care proxy then any of you can inquire.  Try and see if some one can speak with your sibling on your behalf and on behalf of the other siblings.  This is no time for family squabbles.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.