is it legal for adults to record minors who are not on their property?

This strange man down the street from
us keeps recording my son. My son isn’t
doing anything wrong, but this guy will
run up on him and record him and then
go home. One time he was in his own
yard playing with a friend. I find it
creepy and am worried about it.

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Personal Injury, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You may want to consider criminal charges against the man for stalking your son if you can prove that the guy is doing more than this nonsense excuse the cops mentioned,and that the guy is a danger to your son.
In addition to criminal charges for stalking, a separate civil case (lawsuit) against the man for  intentional infliction of emotional distress which is an extreme and outrageous act intended to cause and which does cause your son emotional distress should be considered. Again, you would need to prove more than the nonsense excuse the cops mentioned as a potential defense because at this point it would be difficult to prove intentional infliction of emotional distress.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.