Is it legal for a work placement agency to contact your current employer to tell them you applied for a job?

A local temp agency/work placement
agency contacted my current employer
and told them I sent my resume to the
work placement agency. Now my current
employer is telling other employees and
saying if I don’t want to be there they
already have a replacement lined up
with the same work placement agency.

Asked on May 15, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

This is perfectly permissable under the law. There is unless there was confidentiallity agreement regarding such an action. Otherwise, an employment placement agency can contact a current employer regading an applicant's new job.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is perfectly legal: there is nothing inherently protected or confidential about applying for work or sending out a resume: anyone who knows about this can relate it to any other person, unless there was an actual written confidentiality agreement preventing this--IF there was such an agreement, then you may be able to sue for breach of contract, but otherwise, you would have no recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.