Is it legal for a policeman in face-to-face questioning to lie to you in order to get you to confess?

Also, why is it legal for them to not tell you that you are being recorded? I am being charged in a case such as this. I understand that it is a long standing argument that in face-to-face questioning, the questioned party should assume the officers could be wired but I find this ridiculous and will fight it to the supreme court, pro se if need be, in order to win this case.

Asked on July 5, 2014 under Criminal Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no law against the police misrepresenting the truth or otherwise misleading a suspect. For example, stating that certain incriminating evidence gains them exists or that a co-defendant has already confessed. The simple fact is that, with a few exceptions, they are allowed to lie to a suspect to get them to confess. The thinking is that an innocent person would never confess to a crime they didn't commit, even if presented with false evidence of their involvement. Unfortunately, that's not always the case but it is in large part of the reason why the police are allowed to employ deceptive tactics during an interrogation. That having been said, the police are generally prohibited from making threats and/or false promises of lighter sentencing or the like. This is why a suspect who is an custodial interrogation must be read their Miranda rights, of which the right to remain silent and the right to have an attorney are a part. However, no such rights exist in a non-custodial interrogation. Exactly what your status was during your interrogation is not clear.

As for recording your conversation, in some states all parties must consent to a recording of them being made, however other states only require one person to the conversation need consent to the recording.

At this point, you need to consult with a criminal law attorney ASAP (assuming that you have not already done so). You can relate the details of just what happened to them. They then will be in the best position to offer you advice on your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.