Is it legal for a person that is not the parent or legal guardian of a child to carry health/dental insurance on the child?

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Insurance Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If a person who is not the parent or legal guardian elects to place health or dental insurance on a child (person under the age of 18 years) there is nothing wrong or illegal about it. In fact many grandparents, uncles, or aunts will pay for a minor child's health insurance who is not their own child. Sometimes as a benefit for a particular employee, an employer will place the minor child of the employee on the company's insurance policy and the employee pays a portion of the costs on a monthly basis.

The placement of such insurance is essentially a "gift" to the minor child much like a savings bond, clothing or some other item except the health insurance premium could be considered a much more practical gift.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.