Is it legal for a parent to force a minor against their will to take growth hormone to treat short stature.

I am a 15 year old and for the last year, my parents have been forcing me against
my will to take growth hormone against my will. Although it has been prescribed
by a doctor, the only purpose of the medication is to make me taller. However,
there are many unknown long term side effects and other personal reasons that
cause me not to want to take this medication. Is it legal for my guardians to
force me to take this medication.

Asked on May 7, 2017 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal: parents or other legal guardians can make medical decisions for minors, even ones that may be controversial or expose them to side effects later on, so long as they are medically reasonably decisions--and if a doctor has prescribed the growth hormone, it presumably is medically reasonable (or else the doctor would not have prescribed it).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.