Is it legal for a manager to have discretion to payout for PTO?

I had dental work done in which I had a bad reaction
to. I called off from work to allow myself time to
recover. On Jan 1 the entire company is advanced
all our PTO days to be used across the year, no
restrictions on when and how it can be used. During
the days I called off I requested to utilize my PTO
days to compensate for not being at work. Reviewing
my pay statement I noticed those days were coded
and Unpaid. When I inquired why, timekeeping
advised me my direct manager told them not to pay
me for those days, and they did not. Over reviewed
our policy and procedure regarding PTO and time off
and it’s no where there that states this is proper.
What legal ramifications do I have?

Asked on February 22, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Timekeeping and HR are sometimes the same function in companies... but you need to reach out to HR and request a review of your PTO.  If the policy says that you were entitled to it without oversight, then you are entitled to the pay.  If the policy says that you get PTO subject to your supervisor's approval... then you are limited by the policy. 
If you are entitled to the funds per your company's policy, then you need to contact the workforce commission and ask for their assistance in the collection of pay which has not been timely tendered in violation of the Texas Pay Day Law in the event your HR department refuses to correct the mistake.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.