Is it legal for a manager to bring an employee in the office and accuse them of poor job performance when the job description was not finalized and being changed daily?

The manager tells the employee that if this occurs again steps will be taken to disqualify the employee from the job. Also, in the meeting the manager tells the employee repeatedly that they have a history. Then the manager tells the newly hired sub-manager that the employee has a record file. Insinuating the same issue in the past. When in fact the employee of 21 years has never had any issues like this in his record file.

Asked on November 20, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

While what you describe is poor management and seems very unfair, the only real issue is whether or not you have a written employment contract. That is because without a written employment contract, all employment is "employment at will." Employment at will means, among other things, that a manager may discipline, demote, refuse to promote, transfer (or refuse to transfer), terminate, etc. an employee at any time, for any reason whatsoever--even reasons that are unfair or incorrect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.