Is it legal for a landlord to keep accepting your rent money if you move out and they lease the apartment to someone else?

I moved out 3 months early. They re leased my apt 2 weeks after I moved out. I paid all 3 months I wasn’t there. I did not receive my deposit back. The lady said it was because I broke my lease. I do not have all my money order receipts for rent but I do have the last which she wrote on there no balance due.

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

When you moved out early, your obligation to pay rent ended when the apartment was re-rented.  Since the apartment was re-rented two weeks after you moved out, you would have only owed rent for that two week period.  You could sue the landlord to recover the overpayment of rent you made for the remaining 2 1/2 months.

Since you continued paying rent after moving out, the landlord is not justified in claiming to retain the entire security deposit to cover unpaid rent due to breaking the lease since there wasn't any unpaid rent and in fact an overpayment of rent occurred for the period after the apartment was re-rented.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.