Is it legal for a city community center to advertise rates and services online, and not honor them?

The community center has been adding on and under construction for some time. They had discounted rates listed on-line. No where did it have a deadline or say subject to change. They don’t want to honor the rate and have offered me a small discount which is about $20 more a month. They also don’t want to include everything offered in the VIP membership listed on-line. Is this bait and switch? I asked them, and she has told me she would talk to her supervisor and get back with me. Should I try the Mayor since this is a city building?

Asked on October 5, 2010 under General Practice, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First off, print off everything on-line regarding the membership, etc., that you wish to have.  Then go in yourself and speak with the supervisor face to face.  But look: is there a disclaimer on the website? I would look and see if it says anything like "subject to change without notice" or "limited time only" or something like that.  Just to make sure that here is no "disclaimer" built in to the offer.  Play it cool and see what he or she says.  Then if you really think that they are giving you the run around I would indeed report them to their governing agency.  You have a right to purchase what is advertised. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.