Is it legal for a building contractor to continuously change the financial terms of the building contract?

We originally signed an agreement with the building contractor for making 3 payments of 5,000.00 each which would be applied to the down payment of the eventual loan price of the home while the builder carried the balance of the project’s financing until the home’s completion, which is defined as receiving the certificate of occupancy. Well now that the builder has received the 3 payments they want to revise the agreement which calls for an additional 40,000.00 on the day excavation begins. Also, the builder has changed the base price of the home by including any optional specifications i.e. more efficient furnace, etc. that exceeded the original contract or allowance. This IS NOT what we originally agreed upon so is the builder allowed to do this?

Asked on May 10, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A contract is enforceable--if the builder is violating it, you could sue them for breach of contract, to get compensation (called "damages" in the law) and/or for a court order requiring them to honor the contract's terms ("specific performance"). They may only make changes to the extent the terms of the contract itself permit them to, or by mutual consent, such as if you asked for a change or addition and they agreed to do it for a price.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.