Is it in my best interest to hire an attorney if my exhusband stops paying court ordered maintenance?

Divorced 12/2/2011. Went back to court to get maintenance was awarded
750/mo to begin November 2016. Maintenance payments were made through
the month of March 2017 have since stopped.

Should I file the forms I found on-line by myself or should I hire an
attorney to represent my interests?

Asked on June 6, 2017 under Family Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex for failure to pay alimony.  It would be advisable to be represented by an attorney and not use forms you found online. The forms may or may not be applicable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.