Is it illegal to dock someone’s pay if they accidentally received a counterfeit bill?

Asked on February 12, 2013 under Employment Labor Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In New York, it is illegal to dock pay for a cash issue like this (a mistake regarding counterfeit money).  This is the cost of doing business and like accidental breakage, you are not docked and cannot be docked for work done and mistakes like this made. You need to contact the Department of Labor and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission should there become an issue with your paycheck.  Employers can get into deep trouble for such labor violations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.