is it illegal to ask me to pay for a co workers insurance deductible

i was attacked by a coworker he was on top of me the whole time when i threw him
off he had broken his leg now the owner wanted to avoid workmans comp by me
settling and paying half his deductible by taking it out of my check in payments

Asked on April 24, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It's not "illegal" in the sense that people, including businesses, can look to settle claims with one person making various payments for another. But while it's not illegal to ask, you are under no obligation to make any payments to or on behalf of your coworker unless you were at fault in injuring him. d on what you write, you were not at fault: if he was on top of you after attacking you, and his leg was broken either during his initial attack or when you defended yourself by pushing/throwing him off, that would not make you liable for his injury (self defense is a legal defense to a claim you injured another, so long as the facts support the assertion of self defense). So your employer can ask, but you are not, based on what you write, required to pay. And note: employers may not take money from employee paychecks without employee consent: to do so is illegal, and you could file a wage complaint with the department of labor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.