is it ilegal to date someone that is 18 when you are 13.

is kissing sexual contact

Asked on July 7, 2009 under Personal Injury, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Child molestation is described as sexual abuse of a child by an adult, a significantly older person or by a person in a position of power or influence.  Any activity meant for the sexual stimulation of the adult – hugging, kissing, touching, and more – are all classified as molestation (when this activity does not include actual penetration.) 

Child molestation is a serious offense, not only because of the criminal penalties associated with a conviction but also because of the social stigma of sex offender registration for child molestation.

My suggestion is that the "adult" find someone their own age.

J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT.  I just about every state I am aware of, kissing is considered sexual contact.  Being that you are in a romantic relationship, this poses a significant problem.  Indeed, most states that i am aware of prohibit kissing between an 18 and 13 year old.  If sex were to occur, the 18 year old is subject to statutory rape charges and serious jail time.  I suggest that the two people in this relationship wait 4 years before having ANY physical contact whatsoever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.