Is it fair to ask my roommate for a discount on my share of the rent since I am not given a choice of bedrooms and my bed will not fit?

My roommate is already moved into the apartment, and will be living there for 2 months prior to my moving in, due to the fact my current lease won’t be up until the end of next month. He couldn’t wait that long and understands I can’t help with rent until I move in. I can’t afford to purchase a new bed so I will have to sleep on my couch in my room. This is why I think I should not pay as much in rent, especially since he refused to negotiate the situation. Also, what are my rights as a roommate and my privacy?

Asked on June 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have a "roommate agreement" with respect to the unit you are renting with your roommate, you two have to work things out between you as to rent, cleaning and the like. In essence, you have a lease with the landlord to rent the unit you have where presuably you pay half of the rent and expenses.

I suggest that you consult with your roomate your concerns over your room, costs and the like and reach a written agreement as to how your living arrangement will be and what costs you will incur.

As to privacy, you are entitled to it.

Many of your concerns should have been memorialized in a writing before you ever agreed to rent the unit you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.