Is it easier to have someone sign over their parental rights or not put their name on the birth certificate?

We both live in different states and have been since I found out I’m pregnant. He is in the military.

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The issue of parental rights is not as simple as whose name is on the birth certificate.  Now, if you are not married then you are considered to be the legal guardian of the baby unless and until parental rights are estalished, however they are established.  I would speak with some one in your area about your particular situation and what you want as legal documents.  Courts do not generally just allow a person to terminate their rights.  It has to do with the rights of the child to receive support, etc.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.