Is it advisable for a contractor to sue a company that doesn’t pay?

I am an 18 year old independent videographer who did a 4 hour filming for a

company. I have sent email invoices and a hard copy invoicemailed certified and

return receipt but have not gotten compensated nor will the company respond to

any of my correspondence. I am not sure what to do. The amount is only $150.

Asked on March 27, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Legally, suing is the only way to get your money: if you were a contractor, the department of labor will not help you (they only help employees). For $150, the only way that is even remotely cost-effecive is small claims court, as your own attorney ("pro se"). You'll have to pay a filing fee (usually around $50) but should get it back if you win; and if you can show you did the work but were not paid, you should win.
Is it advisable? Assume you will spend a day on this at least (possibly more, if the courts are backed-up with cases and cannot get to your case the day it is originally scheduled). Is a day of your time worth $150? That's the practical issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.