Is an online divorce legal and recognized by courts?

My wife and I are going to divorce, she
was doing some research and found
online divorce websites. I was
wondering if they are legal and
considered real and recognized by US
courts. This divorce will be uncontested
and we are already going through
property and splitting it up between the
two of us.

Asked on March 24, 2017 under Family Law


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Online divorces are legal, however they are not designed for complicated situation; they are best in a a situation when the parties are not contesting (i.e. when both parties are in agreement and have chosen to split amicably). An uncontested divorce may be filled and filed directly to the court house without ever speaking to an attorney since the parties are in agreement on all matters. Aditionally, one of the benefits of such a divorce is the cost. Most online divorce services will use an interview style questionnaire asking the filing spouse about the details of their divorce. When the interview is completed, the answers are sent to the divorce service to prepare state specific paperwork/forms. One of the most common mistakes in these type divorces is that the forms are incorrect. These services ensure the correct forms are prepared and 100% legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.