Is an officer allowed to tell you, “The last thing you want to do is ask a cop for a search warrant,” after declining permission to search a vehicle?

I was arrested under citation for a felony possession of marijuana over one ounce. I had pulled up to my friend’s house, where cops were already there for his brother, when undercover police swarmed out and to my car. One had said our eyes were red, then asked if I mind if he searches the car. I had asked if he had a search warrant, which he didn’t, and declined permission. Since I am a minor, he got permission from my mom. After, he told me “The last thing you want to do is ask a cop for a search warrant because nothing **** a cop off more.” I was wondering if I can use that against him?

Asked on June 23, 2012 under Criminal Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The police officer that stated what you wrote with respect to the request for a search warrant was entitled to say what he or she said to you. However, what was stated could have a negative result for that officer concerning any internal investigation against his or her conduct as well as the possible progress of the criminal matter that you have written about assuming an arrest was made, charges filed and the action proceeds through the criminal justice system.

I suggest that you may wish to consult with a criminal defense attorney about this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.