Is an employment contract judgement in Hong Kong enforceable in the US?

I just started a new job for a 3 year contract. I do not want to continue and there is a section for $10,000 in liquidated damages. If they would receive a judgement is it enforceable in the US?

Asked on May 25, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes, United States courts will generally recognize the judgments of courts of other countries. While it is not clear that your employer would choose to try to enforce the judgment, since it is more expensive and complicated to enforce a foreign judgment, they could do so if they wanted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.