Is a verbal agreement legally binding?

I am having an issue with a magazine company. It says that I can’t cancel or close my account with them because they already prepaid for my mags and I made a verbal agreement to pay, but I want to cancel.

Asked on December 21, 2010 under General Practice, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Verbal or oral contracts or agreements are generally enforceable. There are some exceptions, but they tend to involve long-term contracts (take more than 1 year), large contracts, real estate short, special cases which this does not seem to be. Furthermore, if the magazine company has already incurred costs--prepayin--in reasonable reliance on what you said, they may also be able to invoke a doctrine called promissory estoppel to bind you. Overall, it is likely that an oral or verbal contract in this situation is enforceable; furthermore, if you try to breach it, even if you won ultimately, you'd be risking additional penalties or fees (e.g. the costs of collection, if you should lose) and damage to your credit rating, as well as spending time and/or money to fight any collection efforts or lawsuits. It is not likely worth it to breach the agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.