Is a spouse in prison who is pressuring you to do something illegal grounds for divorce?

My husband is serving time in
prison and since we got married in
September he has repeatedly tried
to get me to bring contraband into
the prison for him. He has recently
sent me a letter explaining in
detail how to send suboxone to him
in prison and how to change the
label to look like it came from
Amazon. He has even stated that he
has had gang members drive by my
house. What is the best way to file
as I am in permanent social
security disability? Any legal
advice would be greatly appreciated
as I am starting to be afraid of
him and he has already stated he
will not sign the divorce papers.

Asked on November 29, 2018 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You do not need grounds for divorce in the state of Tennessee.  Every state has what they call a "no fault" divorce where neither party has to allege wrongdoing on the part of the other to obtain a divorce.  You just have to follow procedure.  If you feel threatened by him I suggest an order of protection.  Go and see if Legal Aid can help you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.