Is a restaurant/establishment liable if someone is injured in the premises?

I know someone who is using a restaurant to teach a stretch class, they are not paying rent to the restaurant, they are just having lunch the instructor and clients and then using a section of the establishment to do an hour stretch class, the instructor keeps the fee. The instructor also uses the restaurant’s chairs as part of the class routine. Should a participant fall and injure themself who is liable?

Asked on June 21, 2016 under Personal Injury, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The restaurant would only be liable if the injury was due to their negligence or carelessness, such as in having a dangerous condition on premises (like a loose stair or railing, or ragged, torn carpeting, which causes someone to trip/fall). The instructor would be liable only if the injury was due to his or her carelessness or bad instruction, like advising someone to use a chair as an exercise device, which chair is  not designed for that purpose and which causes an injury owing to its unsuitability (e.g. breaking when weight placed on it in a way the chair was not intended to hold). If no one was at fault, then no one would be liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.