Is a quitclaim deed an appropriate mechanism for transferring property?

My mother owns a property free and clear and would like to transfer ownership to the current tenant. My brother’s name is also on the deed but he is deceased.

Asked on April 26, 2016 under Estate Planning, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Property can be transferred via the quitclaim deed.  A quitclaim deed will release your mother's entire right, title, and interest in the property to the designated party.
The quitclaim deed is signed in the presence of a notary.  It becomes effective upon being recorded (filed with the County Recorder's Office).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.