Is a Poor over will to a trust void after you marry, if it was prepared before you were married. this is the case with my dad who is now deceased.

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Estate Planning, California


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally, in most common law jurisdictions, a will is void if it was made prior to a marriage, unless it appears from the will that it was made in contemplation of the marriage. A new will must be executed after a marriage takes place.

Although you should check with a local attorney on the specifics because I am not admitted to practice in CA and I do not know where the Will was created and where your father resided. So based on what jurisdiction will control you  should contact a local attorney to ask about whether that jurisdiction revokes a Will after marriage. But in general a Will is revoked upon a marriage and that would apply to a pour over Will. A trust sometimes can survive but not from a pour over Will. Again please call a local representative to verify the specifics for the correct state law governing this transaction and Good luck with everything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.