Is a newspaper crossing personal boundaries/rights if it publishes arrest records on its website without any regard as to whether the person was found guilty?

After searching my name on Google, I realized that in the first 10 results displayed was a publication in which both of my previous arrests were being displayed for anyone who searched my name to see. Not only did they make the arrests available to the public but they offer no information as to the outcome of the arrests- whether the person was found guilty or not, and only vague details of the police report. Couldn’t this make it easy for prospective employers to discriminate against someone if they see this?

Asked on July 14, 2012 under Personal Injury, Ohio


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Arrest records are public information.  They are available to anyone who wants to obtain them.  So a newspaper is not crossing any line or invading your privacy by publishing your arrest record.  If they are publishing something that is not true, then they would be liable or in most states records for minors are not public record, so they could be held liable for publishing the record of a minor.  Other than that, the newspaper is well within their rights to publish arrests made in the community.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.