Is a management company responsible for water damage to a rental house?

I’ve been paying a 10% commission to a real estate company for finding a tenant, managing problems, collecting rents, etc. A tenant allowed extensive water damage by ignoring a roof leak (he has no money, is in jail). Is the manager responsible for the repairs (we had no homeowners insurance) that I’ve already paid out of pocket. There was no formal, signed management agreement.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the management company were at fault in causing the damage--such as by not providing maintenance which they were supposed to do; or not responding to a leak when the tenant reported it--then you could hold them liable. However, in the absence of a contract in which the management company agreed to be liable for all damage to your home, they would only be liable if you can show they were at fault in causing the damage--that is, the damage occured due to their negligence (or unreasonable carelessness) or failure to perform some of their responsibilities. Without fault, they would not be liable; they are not your insurer.  You could potentially sue the tenant for  his negligence in ignoring the leak, but if he has no money and no job, that will not help you. In the future, make sure you  have the appropriate insurance; and if the rental is not paying enough to cover the cost of insurance, it's likely not worth doing, given the risk you are exposing yourself to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.