Is a letter from out of state considered proof of residence and, if so, how does this affect custody/divorce/deportation?

My friend is from the UK. He and his wife are estranged and have 2 child together. He is only a registered visitor and her family sponsors him in the US. She has informed him that she wants him out by the end of the month. She says she wants him to “prove he is a good father” by moving out of state and sending her a letter. He has no job and no money. This seems like a trick to prove they don’t live together and that he doesn’t see his son. Am I wrong?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I can not determine what is running through her mind but I do not see the move as beneficial to him in any way.  And I think that he should speak with an attorney as soon as he can regarding the immigration issue and how it will affect the divorce and custody issue.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.