Is a legal issue that a lawyer copied my parent’s signature on the back of a medical check and deposited it into their bank?

The insurance company paid the medical check of $11000 to my parent and it mailed to the attorney’s office. A lawyer copied my parent’s signature to deposit without any notice. Also, they said it is a reimbursement that they will need to mail out to the insurance company but it was waived my an insurance company and I confirmed with an adjuster. Their unethical behavior makes me very upset and no follow ups, no return calls during a case. A couple days ago, a lawyer informed us that they dropped the case which we didn’t even know. They asked us to hire an attorney to contact them again.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Accident Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Although I only have part of the "picture" here, it sounds like the attorneys did not act properly.  Attorneys have a duty to communicate, must not forge documents, and can't just "drop" clients without notice.  Please contact the State Bar of California with information regarding what happened.  You can do so at this site:



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.