Is A lawyer available

My employer, a TX based company, owes me almost 2 years back pay and expenses. He also owns a parent company. I work for sub company. They have a board of directors and have ownership in a large concrete facility. They owe close to $200,000. Can I sue the parent company and board of directors for allowing him to hold pay, promise to pay. Then life and not pay. Who is ready for war. He totally destroyed a hardworking. Honest family. We are rich like him.

Asked on September 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the employer who owes you money is an LLC or corporation (as is implied by your talk of "parent company" and "sub-company"), you can only sue that company itself, not a its corporate parent or the board of directors or any managers or owners. An LLC or corporation is its own legal entity or person; only it, and not those who own it, are responsible for its debts, the same way that if you own GM stock and GM is sued, you, as a stockholder, are not liable. The corporate and LLC legal structures or forms protect their owners and affiliates and directors from liability. So you need to sue the company which employed you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.