If the trustee of my irrevocable Trust has just been diagnosed with an terminal illness and there is no successor trustee, after the trustee’s death how should I appoint a new one?

Asked on January 22, 2019 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If there is no successor listed in the trust instrument (the documents creating the trust) and also no mechanism or process set forth in the trust for appointing a successor, you would have to file a legal action in court and ask the judge to name a new trustee.  The county clerk's office should be able to provide information on doing this, or direct you to where you can get information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.