Investments bought with inherited monies

(Texas) 2nd marriage, Husband inherited money/property. I know inheritance is not community property.1. IF inheritance money was used to buy/develop property after marriage is that considered community property? 2. any monies received from such property is that considered community property also?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are correct in noting that an inheritance is separate property. 

In Texas, the appreciation or increase in value of separate property is generally considered separate property.  However, reimbursement may be due to one spouse or the community for contributions made during the marriage to enhance the value of one spouse's separate estate.  Through something known as "economic contribution",  the non-owner souse may also share in the appreciation of the property. Additionally,  income or interest earned on separate property is community property.  It is necessary to advise the court if you believe that you have a claim for reimbursement.  The sooner the better. 

This can be a very complicated issue, and is one that is best addressed by consulting with an attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.