What can Idoifan article that I wrote along withmy likenessis being used bymy chiropractorin their advertising?

My chiropractic office has used my image and an article I wrote years ago in a mailer, without my knowledge or consent. Additionally, it is available on their company website. This article contains personal information about my health. Originally, the photo and article were used a part of “The Patient of the Month” and is posted in the medical office. It is still there. I really do not recall ever signing any legal documents, and this is the second time the company has done this. 2 years ago they used my image only on a postcard. I want to know what options I have to address this?

Asked on July 22, 2010 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You shoudl consult with an attorney. On the face of it, you may have two distinct claims here, as you have intuited:

* Commerical use of your likeness without your permission

* Invasion of privacy (at least if the facts are such that a reasonable person would not want them to be divulged)

You may be able to sue the chiropractor for damages. You might also be able to get a court order stopping them from doing this.

However, on a more practical basis, if they have done this before, so this is the second time, you should probably take your custom elsewhere; they do not appear to be  very respectfual of their patients' rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.