What can I do if the at-fault party’s insurer is denying my claim?

My car was hit in the parking lot in my apartement and there was a witness who saw it. He left a note in my car about the license plate of the car which hit my car and the witness called the non-emergency police about it. I later found the note and and the car that hit mine was also parked there, so I went to my apartment leasing office and found the owner of the car. We met and he gave me his insurance info. Since I already met the person and exchanged insurance info, I did not report it to the police. However, now that I have filed a claim, the insurance company says that the other person is denying about the accident, therefore they are denying my claim saying that there is not enough evidence. I have obtained the police call number when the witness reported but insurance says that it’s not enough. What can I do?

Asked on March 29, 2019 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

You can sue the at-fault driver. If you can prove in court that the other driver was at fault--which is likely, since you have a witness and anyone who hits a stationary or parked vehicle is essentially by definition driving carelessly or negligently--the court will issue a judgment in your favor, ordering him to pay. At that time, either he and/or his insurer should pay you. His insurer is his insurer, not yours: they do not have an obligation directly to you. Rather, their obligation is to their insured--to pay for him, when he has to pay. Therefore, you have to sue him and get a court order or judgment requiring him to pay to get compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.