Insurance claim question

I have a house on Lake Ontario sitting on a 50 foot bluff this year I lost 4-5 feet of property leaving about 1-2 feet till the side of my house to the edge of the bluff is there any way the insurance will cover it.. I am kinda scared to call them in fear of losing all insurance

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Insurance Law, New York


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you absolutely need to discuss this with a lawyer in your area.  Insurance law is a very tricky and technical subject at times, and your lawyer will almost certainly want to see your homeowners' policy, as well as find out all of the other facts of your case, before giving you an opinion.  One place to look for a qualified attorney is our website,

Please don't put this off.  I'm not a New York lawyer, and without the facts or your policy I can't venture a guess on what you need to do next -- but you need to find that out, and make it happen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.