If mobile home lot rental fees are bankrupting me and I’ve been unable to sell, what happens if I quit paying rent?

I inherited from my parents a mobile home in an adult park 9 years ago. I had a “lease to own” contract but the tenants backed out. Since then I have been unsuccessful in leasing or selling (in fact, I’ve lowered my price by more than half). If I quit paying the lot rent and let the home go, does the park owner have any legal issues he can assert onto me?

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Is the written lease for the lot where the mobile home is located in your name or that of your parents? Is the written lease one for a specific term or is it a month-to-month term?

If the lease is in the name of your deceased parents, then you have no liability as to it. If the lease is in your name on a month-to-month basis, you should terminate it immediately if you want to.

If there is a written lease for the lot where the mobile home sits, you need to read it carefully in that its terms control the obligations owed to the designated tenant by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney concerning your situation.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.