,,my brother and I inherited a house 20 years ago from our mother,,,,the house has remained in her name,,,,,and I have paid the taxes out of my pocket every year,,,,and pay for all the upkeep,,,,new roof,,,carpet,,,,my friend are tellin me I can have the house put into my name,,,,if I’m the one paying the taxe every year,,,,,is that true,,,???

Asked on October 24, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The house is your's and your brother's.  If you brother will agree to let the house be transferred into your name alone, then this can be done.  If he refuses, then you may need to file a suit to "clear the title" or for a late filed probate to get the house into your name.  In either suit, if your brother insists on exerting his ownership interest, then you can ask the court to have him reimburse you for 1/2 of all of the expenses you have incurred on preserving the house.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.