Indiana Inheritance Question

My mother passed away in March 2006 with no will. My father remarried in December. They are selling the house and property my father acquired when my mother was alive. After reading several horror stories about step parents and step children I am wondering if I should be concerned.

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Estate Planning, Iowa


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are two scenarios here: first, they are selling the house and the real property (i.e., the acres it sits on).  If they held the house and real property as joint tenants with rights of survivorship it passed solely to your Father upon your Mother's death.  What he does with it is up to him.  Now, if you meant the house and other types of property (stocks, etc.) that is the second scenario and a portion of the other types of property are part of her net estate and a portion of that is yours.  I can understand that you would be concerned about your right to inherit from your Father when he passes away.  You should bring that up in a conversation with him and find out his wishes for your inheritance. Suggest he do a will and see an estate planner to protect his wishes.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.