What to do if a dealership is playing games on a car purchase?

I put an offer in for a new auto at a dealership. The dealer doesn’t have auto on lot have to get it from another dealer. Delivery was scheduled for toorrow, however they now say they can’t make that happen. No formal paperwork has been signed other than what I feel is an offer worksheet and a loan application. I’m wondering if I have the option to back out of offer because they can’t deliver the car on the day promised or is the offer to purchase a bidding contract and I’m at the mercy of their games.

Asked on September 2, 2012 under General Practice, Wisconsin


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Generally, if you haven't signed a formal purchase agreement then you can back out on the sale... and probably should if you have a bad feeling they are monkeying around with you.  However, what will control is what your paperwork actually reads.  You mention that you "feel" it's just an offer worksheet and loan application.  What matters is what you actually signed.  If you don't have copies of these documents, get copies and review everything that you signed.  If they clearly are offer documents and you haven't finalized the financing agreement, then your good.  If your paperwork reads differently, then you could have a harder time getting out of the agreement, unless the contract contains some type of exit clause.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.