Is a landlord required to repair air-conditioning?

I am renting this house from a friend, with no rental contract. Before I moved into the house, she told me the house had a window AC unit. After I insisted that she install the unit so I could use it, she informed me that if the unit broke, it would not be replaced. It has broken. It is in the mid 90’s. Does WV law require that she repair the AC? And if she does not, can I have it repaired and withhold the cost from the rent?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The law does not specifically require A/C. All rentals do have what's called the "implied warranty of habitability," which requires landlords to maintain rental premises in such fashion that they are fit for their intented purposes--i.e. to be lived in. However, that does not require them them to be comfortable--just inhabitable. Temperatures in the mid-90s may not be high enough to violate this warranty, and if they do not rise to the level of rendering the premises uninhabitable, then you would not be entitled to any compensation or to take legal action.

With an oral lease (no written contract), either you or the landlord (if you prove to be a difficult tenant) may terminate the tenancy on 30 days notice. Rather than attempt to take legal action, when your right to do so is not clear, you may be better off--

1) Providing notice and finding another place to live; or

2) Ask the landlord if you could install your own A/C, one which you would own and take with you when you leave--if she says yes, buy one, install it, and take it with you when you go (make sure you get the landlord's agreement in writing, to avoid later misunderstandings).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.