Does a man have any legal rights of visitation or custody of a child he has supported since birth, if the relationship with the mother dissolves?

Asked on January 22, 2013 under Family Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In today's age of non-traditional families, courts have been more inclined and laws have changed to aid those who are the parental role (basically you are the father without being a biological father) to grant custody, joint custody and/or visitation rights, absolutely. Along comes with it the responsibility to pay child support so make sure you know what you want to do and file in court for what you wish (joint custody, visitation, combination).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.