Do I need a lawyer present to request an continuance in a child custody case?

Asked on September 20, 2011 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You don't need an attorney to request a continuance in a child custody case.  It would be advisable to contact the court clerk to find out which form(s) to file to request the continuance and the related procedures including how far in advance of the hearing you need to request your continuance and file the appropriate forms and serve the opposing party.  The judge will determine whether or not a continuance is granted or denied and will look at the reason you are requesting a continuance.  If the continuance is granted, the court's schedule (calendar) will determine the date for the next court appearance in your child custody case.  If you don't comply with the filing deadline and/or procedures for filing the request for a continuance, the request for a continuance will be denied.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.