Can you legally get a citation for expired vehicle registration on a parked car?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the vehicle was parked on a public street with expired registration tags, law enforcement can legally cite the owner of the vehicle for expired registration.

The rationale is that the vehicle is on a street that a governmental entity controls, regulates and maintains.

The answer would be different if the vehicle cited was parked in one's own driveway off the street. Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.