What do I have to do in order to be able to sign the rights of my unborn child to my sister?

I’m still pregnant and I’m not ready for another kid but my sister is and she can no longer have anymore children herself I am not married to the person I am pregnant by, so do I need that mans to sign his rights over and how do I go about signing my own rights to this child to my sister?

Asked on July 8, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to sign over your parental rights of your unborn child to your sister, you need to contact a family law attorney and have formal adoption papers drawn up to be signed by you and the child's father.

Once signed, there needs to be a petition with the court served upon all interested parties for your sister to adopt the child where the court hears the evidence and renders a decision and order with respect to the matter you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.