If mother doesn’t want grandparents to have visitation, could they still get visitation rights?

Asked on January 27, 2013 under Family Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In OH, grandparents can seek court-ordered visitation under certain circumstances. They are: if the child's parents are unmarried, if the child's parents have filed for a divorce/legal separation, or if one of the child's parents is deceased. A court must consider a parent's wishes when determining whether or not to award visitation; the court must also consider if grandparent visitation would be in the child's best interests.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.